Endometriosis Diet: Diet and nutritional help to minimize symptoms of endometriosis
The accurate reason of endometriosis remains unidentified. Although, certain theories suggest that during menstruation the shed endometrial cells might travel backwards into the fallopian tube(s); attaching themselves to the pelvis once there. This is they refer to as retrograde menstruation. This backstroking phenomenon is fairly common among women however scientists do believe that women with endometriosis might have a differently programmed immune system as opposed to others. Read about endometriosis symptoms.
What to expect?
Endometriosis causes women to experience lower abdominal, pelvic, or lower back pain; a particularly painful and heavy menstrual cycle; acute discomfort during sexual intercourse; fertility problems and even coughing blood if the condition spreads to the lungs. In order to mitigate the effects of endometriosis, it is essential to constrain estrogen production in ailing females. Increased estrogen release is seen to be primarily responsible for most endometriosis related complaints.
What not to eat?
An endometriosis diet would thus be one that would help limit estrogen production. Endometriosis diets are often structured to help reduce production of prostaglandins – substances that stimulate estrogen production. However, it is important to understand that prostaglandins are of many types, of which some even help endometriosis symptoms. Experts recommend women to eliminate fatty foods from their diets since they boost estrogen levels. Therefore, it is advisable to abstain from high-fat content foods such as red meat, which in fact stimulates prostaglandin production; wheat and other complex carbs such as pasta, bread, cake, etc.; high-sugar items such as corn syrup, which cause inflammation and pain; chocolates are also a no-no if not sugar-free; alcohol, frozen and canned goods, items loaded with preservatives and artificial flavorings are also strictly forbidden.
How to structure a good food meal plan?
Specialists advise women to include a lot of fresh and organic products into their meals since environmental impurities (dioxins) are shown to increase estrogen levels. A balanced and effective endometriosis diet plan would include the following:
- Omega Fatty Acids – Omega fatty acids inhibit inflammation while helping the body to develop a stronger immune system. Foods seen to be rich in omega fatty acids include: oily fish (salmon, cod, mackerel); nuts like almonds, and walnuts; flax seed oil supplements; sesame, and pumpkin seeds; (cold-pressed) extra-virgin olive oil.
- Water – It is essential to make water an integral part of your diet. Clean, filtered, purified water helps reduce inflammation while regulating normal functioning of metabolic processes. Impure water may contain pesticides that once ingested begin acting like estrogen, heightening endometriosis’ effects. It is also recommended that water be substituted for caffeine, alcohol, and other sugary drinks (including diet sodas).
- Fiber – Fibers help in regulating immoderate estrogen production by stimulating the bowel and ensuring proper and regular elimination of waste (including excess estrogen). Fiber rich foods include whole grains, rice, corn, vegetables, fruit, etc.
- Vitamin B rich vegetables and high-iron food items – Vegetables (loaded with B vitamins), and iron-rich foods are essential items for endometriosis diets.
- Vegies such as broccoli, spinach, cabbage, turnips, etc. reduce muscular pain. Whereas, iron-rich foods such as eggs, fish, apricots, and green vegetables help prevent anemia, which can occur due to excessive blood loss – a common symptom of endometriosis.
Eat healthy to feel better. Feel better by eating healthy.
The core of any endometriosis diet, like all well-balanced, nutritional diets, is the inclusion of healthy, fresh, and organic foods into daily meals. A varied diet comprising of equal parts protein, fiber, and vegetables as outlined above will hopefully help counter any ill-effects of endometriosis and promote a generally robust system better equipped to fend off any illness.
Search Help: endometriosis diet, diet for endometriosis, endometriosis diet